Get a wide cross-section of life in New Zealand on this multi-week Journey with three host clubs in this sunny country in the South Pacific! Enjoy spectacular springtime scenery, cultural performances, a glimpse into everyday industry, and fabulous new friendships on this October/November Journey!
Provided by the Friendship Force club of South Taranaki, Wairarapa, and Nelson.
Live With a Local
- Meet people in many different places, and receive a good sampling of life in New Zealand.
- Get firsthand experience of local industry with a tour of a working farm, attending a sheep milking demonstration, and taking a horticultural tour.
- Visit Maori villages, see the 30m-tall Pohutu Geyser, and enjoy the multiple options of outdoor activities in Rotorua.
- Visit a functioning farm, see beautiful gardens, and learn about the culture in one of South Taranaki's excellent museums.
- Explore a lighthouse, see Stonehenge Aotearoa, and visit Fell Engine Museum in Wairarapa.
- Take trip to the lakes, visit the World of Wearable Art Museum, take a horticultural tour, and go for a walk in the famous Abel Tasman National Park of Nelson.
The friendliness we met throughout the country was amazing and one of the many positive things I am sharing with my friends back home. - Previous Ambassador to New Zealand from Sydney, Australia
South Taranaki, Wairarapa, and Nelson, New Zealand
28 Days / 27 Nights Program and Itinerary:
October 21, 2017 – November 17, 2017
Coordinator: Nancy Makepeace, FF Hay River, Canada
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Oct. 21 - Auckland
Arrive in Auckland.
Stay overnight in hotel.
Oct. 22 - 25 - Rotorua
Visit Maori villages and enjoy cultural performances, have a “hangi” meal, and be amazed by the geo-thermal parks, including the 30m-tall Pohutu Geyser, which erupts many times daily.
The Tudor-style Rotorua Museum in the city’s Government Gardens traces the history of the indigenous Te Arawa people and European settlers.
Mountain-biking and hiking trails wind through local redwood forests.
The region’s lakes and rivers offer white-water rafting, kayaking, and boat trips.
Oct. 25 - Nov. 1 - South Taranaki
Located one hour from New Plymouth near the volcano Mt. Taranaki, we find the town of South Taranaki, where dairying is the prominent industry and there are beautiful gardens and excellent museums. A farm visit is included as well as a trip to New Plymouth.
Nov. 1 - Palmerston North
Night in hotel.
Nov. 2 - 9 - Wairarapa
Visit a lighthouse and the coast.
Watch sheep being milked.
Learn about vintage cars and clothing.
See Stonehenge Aotearoa.
Attend a wine & olive tasting.
Visit Paua shell factory.
Fell Engine Museum.
Try boutique cheeses.
See the miniature railway.
Nov. 9 - Wellington
Night in a hotel.
Nov. 10 - 17 - Nelson
Horticulture, fishing and forestry are the main occupations here, with beautiful mountains, beaches and lakes, and three National Parks in the area.
Journey may include a trip to the lakes, a city tour, World of Wearable Art Museum, Founders Village, a horticultural tour, Motueka or a Golden Bay trip by boat or car, and a walk in the famous Abel Tasman National Park.
$2370 USDPrice Includes: FFI and host fees, including five nights in a hotel and 21 nights of home-hosting. Transportation between clubs, which will be arranged by bus and will not be too expensive, is NOT included.
Know before you go
- It will be springtime in New Zealand.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.