Join ambassadors from Friendship Force of Greater Omaha, Nebraska (USA) on their trip making fabulous friends and seeing fantastic sights throughout Germany! After a pre-homestay tour of Berlin, you will have the opportunity to be home-hosted in the Hamburg area with FF Norderstedt and FF Schwerin, enjoying authentic German food at welcome parties, touring the Hamburg harbor by ferry, or trying your hand at road bowling with your new friends!
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force clubs of Norderstedt and Schwerin.
Live With a Local
- Four nights home-hosting with FF Norderstedt
- Seven nights home-hosting with FF Schwerin
- Meet club members of FF Norderstedt and FF Schwerin and enjoy some free time, plus welcome and farewell parties with them
- In Schwerin, try out "Boßeln" (street bowling), which is very popular in the area
- Berlin highlights: Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag Building, Sinti and Roma Memorial, Holocaust Memorial, Embassies (USA, France, UK, Russia), old governmental district, Frederick Street/Checkpoint Charlie, Gendarmenmarkt (Konzerthaus, Deutscher Dom, Französischer Dom), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bebelplatz (place of Nazi book burning in 1933), Berlin Castle, Museum Island, Nikolai Quarter, Berlin City Hall (Rotes Rathaus), Alexanderplatz, and a river cruise lunch
- Miniaturwunderland and Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg, Hamburg harbor cruise
- Arboretum Park in Ellerhoop
- NordArt exhibition
- Guided Tour of Schwerin
- Schwerin Palace Museum - the most beautiful residence of state parliaments in Germany
- Wiligrad Castle
- Open-air museum of folklore in Mueß
- Guided tour of Wismar on the Baltic Sea
Thank you so much for making our time in Norderstedt so enjoyable. I will dearly miss our conversations and laughter. - 2018 US ambassador
Berlin, Schwerin, and Norderstedt, Germany
16 Days / 15 Nights Program and Itinerary:
August 24, 2019 – September 8, 2019
Coordinator: Joy Schaal, FF Greater Omaha
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Aug. 24, 2019
Arrive in Berlin
Aug, 25, 2019
Enjoy a full day tour of Berlin seeing the following:
Sinti and Roma Memorial
Embassies (USA, France, UK, Russia)
Old governmental district
Frederick Street/Checkpoint Charlie
Gendarmenmarkt (Konzerthaus, Deutscher Dom, Französischer Dom)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Bebelplatz (place of Nazi book burning in 1933)
Berlin City Hall (Rotes Rathaus)
Aug. 26, 2019
Enjoy a River Cruise lunch
Venture out and find your favorite places
Aug. 27, 2019
Try a Hop-on/Hop-off Bus Tour, or just do some sight-seeing
Aug. 28, 2019
Travel by train to Hamburg
Arrival at central station in Hamburg, where we will be greeted by the Norderstedt Friendship Force club
Travel by Metro to Norderstedt
Official welcome with the hosts in the park of Norderstedt
Welcome dinner in “Hopfenliebe” – a German restaurant
Aug. 29, 2019
Go into Hamburg by Metro:
Elbphilharmonie with wonderful views over the harbor
Ferry tour of Hamburg harbour
A little bit of sightseeing on foot
Back to Norderstedt by metro
Aug. 30, 2019
Visit “NordArt” exhibition (by car)
Have lunch or coffee there
Dinner with hosts in the evening
Aug. 31, 2019
Visit Arboretum Park in Ellerhoop (by car)
Remaining time with your hosts
Sept. 1, 2019
Morning with the hosts
Farewell lunch at Restaurant Konfuzius (asiatic food, guests invite hosts)
Travel by metro to the central station of Hamburg
Arrive in Schwerin and meet your hosts
Sept. 2, 2019
Guided city tour of Schwerin
Meet the president of the city council
Schwerin Palace Museum
Sept. 3, 2019
Free day with hosts
Sept. 4, 2019
Bus ride to Lübstorf
Sept. 5, 2019
Open-air museum of folklore Mueß
Picnic and horse carriage ride
Sept. 6, 2019
Sept. 7, 2019
Departure to Wismar
Guided city tour
Sept. 8, 2019
Train to Hamburg
$1200 USDPrice Includes: Four nights accommodation in Berlin before the actual homestay, a full day tour in Berlin, a river cruise lunch in Berlin on day two, FFI fees, host fees for the home stays in Schwerin and Norderstedt, travel cost within Germany.
Know before you go
- Journey number 15070.
- $400.00 deposit due by April 1st.
- The group is meeting in Berlin on Aug 24. They will be touring Berlin together.
- Greater Omaha ambassadors (from the ambassador club) will leave the US on August 23rd and arrive in Berlin on August 24th.
- Norderstedt is part of the Hamburg Metropolitan Region.
- Schwerin is about 100 km east of Hamburg, situated in former East Germany. Schwerin is the state capital of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania and has about 100,000 inhabitants. It is surrounded by many lakes and woods, not far from the Baltic Sea.
- At the end of the Journey, travel by train back to Hamburg for our flight back home or continue on your Journey.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.