This is a unique opportunity for Friendship Force members who are quilters to share their travel and quilting experiences! Ambassadors will have a chance to meet up with quilters who share the same love of certain quilting methods, while gaining new ideas and techniques from each other and from the many planned activities.
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force club of Western North Carolina.
Live With a Local
- The Friendship Force club of Western North Carolina is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains and famous for bluegrass music. This music will be part of evening activities.
- Visit with Georgia Bonesteel, an icon in the world of quilting.
- View unique quilts and locations that will give you ideas for future quilts.
- All of the ambassadors will join together to create a quilt that will be donated to a local charity.
- The Blue Ridge Parkway spans the Blue Ridge Mountains and affords wonderful views of mountains and waterfalls.
- The Arboretum offers a quilt garden.
- The Garden Show in Hendersonville will lend access to flowers and plants that can be photographed.
Amazing hospitality.... Many outstanding people and beautiful places. - Previous Ambassador from Kansas
Quilting Mountain Style
9 Days / 8 Nights Program and Itinerary:
May 23, 2018 – May 31, 2018
Coordinator: Joan Manfree, FF Western North Carolina
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Ambassadors arrive in the morning or early afternoon via Asheville, NC airport or Greenville/Spartanburg, SC airport.
Ambassadors that arrive early in the day have the option of walking through the town of Hendersonville or parts of Asheville.
Welcome dinner at 5:30 pm.
Meet with Georgia Bonesteel to view her quilts and talk with her.
Visit quilt shops and have demo lessons.
Dinner with local quilt guild members and view their quilts.
Bus trip to South Carolina quilt shops for lessons and purchases.
Modern Quilt presentation.
Dinner with Friendship Force members.
Get inspired at local garden show, followed by flower pounding activity.
Presentations and activities for ambassadors given by guild members.
Dinner at local home.
Sunday morning free time.
Meet in the afternoon at Dupont State Forest for waterfall viewing.
Quilt Trail Tour.
Dinner at home-host house.
Visit Blue Ridge Parkway with the first stop being the visitors’ center, followed by the Folk Art Museum and picnic.
Dinner at restaurant.
Tour of Quilt Garden at Arboretum and lunch.
A quilt will be created, by a guild member, from all the mountain scene squares each ambassador has made and have a hand in quilting it at a quilt shop.
Take home-host to dinner.
Day of sewing using projects created from activities and being introduced to a new technique.
View the quilts at the North Carolina Quilt Symposium at the Asheville campus of North Carolina University.
Lunch at show.
Ambassadors will either be left at the campus to attend the Symposium or leave for their homes.
Dinner will be at everyone’s own expense.
Know before you go
- Each ambassador is asked to create a quilting square containing mountains. The finished block size will be sent to ambassadors. The quilter may choose their own colors and use either a quilt pattern or create their own. The squares will be quilted together to form a piece that will be quilted by the group and donated to a local charity. Since this quilt be one that is used and washed, the squares should be made of pieces that are sewn together and can withstand washing.
- At the close of the Journey, ambassadors may opt to attend the North Carolina Quilting Symposium May 31 - June 3, 2018, located at the University of North Carolina Asheville Campus. Ambassadors can opt to attend the Symposium for one to four days, depending on workshops and presentations they would like to attend. For information and to get email updates sent to you, go to: ashevillequiltguild.org.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.