Join this incredible Discovery Journey to Reykjavík, Iceland with high hopes of viewing the magnificent Northern Lights! With the small group size, you will really get to know your fellow ambassadors, and interaction with locals is an integral part of the adventure. We intend to cultivate these meetings with local professionals and tradesmen to create new Friendship Force clubs and members in Iceland where there have previously been none.
Although there is no home-hosting on this Journey, there are several opportunities to meet and interact with locals.
Live With a Local
- Local rescue team visit
- Visit a historical thermal swimming pool: locals often use the thermal pools. They are usually outdoors and a good way to get a feel of the local habits.
- Culinary introduction: taste some typical Icelandic treats
- Incredible Icelandic landscape with waterfalls, glaciers, black sand beaches, lava fields, sand plains, highland valleys, caves, rock formations, tectonic rifts, lakes, hot springs, geysers, and geothermal rivers.
- Northern Lights excursion
- Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon
- Þingvellir National Park
- Reykjavík city tour
Seeing the Northern Lights was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Magnificent!
7 Days / 6 Nights Program and Itinerary:
October 1, 2019 – October 7, 2019
Coordinator: Rose Schultz
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Oct. 1, 2019
Arrive into KEF airport by 7 AM or the day before
Local thermal pool visit
Private walk tour of Reykjavík + culinary introduction
In the afternoon, you have time to explore the city on your own
Night spent in Reykjavík
Oct. 2, 2019
Head out to the South Coast, with sightseeing at multiple areas along the way
Possible Northern Lights excursion this evening (or another suitable evening depending on weather conditions)
Spend two nights on the South Coast
Oct. 3, 2019
Experience the Southeast out to Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
Farm visit and other local visits possible here, with optional Ice Caving or Glacier Hiking
Return to same hotel as prior night
Oct. 4, 2019
Adventure in Hveragerði
Local brewery and pizzeria visit
Visit area residents, including a local rescue team
Spend two nights here
Oct. 5, 2019
Sightseeing around the Golden Circle area
Lava Caving and horticulture farm visit OR mushroom farm visit
Also possible to visit the home of a Nobel-Prize-winning Icelandic writer
Oct. 6, 2019
Transfer to Reykjavík City, sightseeing parts of the Reykjanes Peninsula along the way
Visit Icelandic Glacial Water headquarters and locals in Þorlákshöfn (also possible to do Lava Caving and ATV/Buggy tour).
Oct. 7, 2019
Free-time in Reykjavík and transfer to KEF airport
$2932 USDPrice Includes: FFI fee; Airport Shuttle Transfer from KEF airport to downtown area bus-stop (two min walk from Hotel); two nights at Reykjavík Hotel Skuggi; two nights at Iceland's Guesthouse in Hveragerði; two nights at Hotel Anna in the Central South; Downtown Thermal Swimming-pool entry; Reykjavík City Private Walk and Culinary Introduction including 3x Icelandic treats; Breakfast each morning except for on arrival day; Private guided tour of the Central South Coast; Private guided tour of the Southeast area; Private Hveragerði Adventure; Iceland local rescue-team visit; Ölverk Geothermal Brewery and Pizzeria visit with pizza buffet and beer-tasting; Private guided Golden Circle adventure; Friðheimar or Flúðasveppir visit, tour and lunch; Laugarvatnshellir Cave People entry; Private guided tour of parts of the Reykjanes Peninsula with possible visit to Icelandic Glacial Waters HQ and/or Local visit; Lunch/Snack for each passenger included on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6; Airport Shuttle Transfer from downtown to KEF airport.
NOT INCLUDED: International airfare and travel insurance
Know before you go
- Journey number 15107.
- If you would like to arrive a day early, an additional night in the hotel is $138/person in a double room (including breakfast).
- The program starts on Oct 1. Arrive by plane as late as 7 AM that day, so you don't miss any of the program. It may be wise to arrive a day early.
- 20% deposit due on upon acceptance.
- On average, October has a low of 36°F and a high of 45°F.
- Price differs depending on the number of people: 16 participants: $2,932/person; 14 participants: $2,984/person; 12 participants: $3,055/person; 10 participants: $3,114/person; 9 participants: $3,349/person.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.