Join ambassador club FF Quad Cities as they travel to Cottbus, Germany on this culturally enriching Journey! Get to know your hosts in Cottbus as they bring you around their city and beyond, with visits to nearby Spreewald, Lehde, and a neighboring Polish town. Looking to extend your stay? There are three optional extensions - two pre-Journey add-ons to Iceland and Berlin, as well as a post-Journey day-hosted option with FF Varel, Germany!
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force club of Cottbus.
Live With a Local
- Homestay with FF Cottbus
- Reception in the Cottbus town hall
- Spend free-time with your hosts
- Meet more Friendship Force members in a totally different German region, the North Sea Coast (Wadden Sea Unesco World Heritage Site), and get to know a totally different German culture and traditions during the day-host extension with FF Varel, Germany
- University City of Cottbus (100,000 inhabitants) with its historical center of churches, Altmarkt, and medieval city wall with towers and gates.
- UNESCO Spreewald Biosphere Reserve with boat ride on the many small canals. The Spreewald area is known for its unique landscapes.
- Open-air museum in Lehde with historical farms
- Trip to a neighboring Polish town
- Visit to a coal mine
I learned a lot and enjoyed meeting new people. - Previous ambassador to Cottbus
Cottbus, Germany (with optional tours to Iceland and Berlin)
7 Days / 6 Nights Program and Itinerary:
September 15, 2019 – September 21, 2019
Coordinator: Lois Boyer, FF Quad Cities
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Sept. 8 to 11, 2019 - Iceland (OPTIONAL)
Join FF Quad Cities for an optional three-night pre-Journey visit to Iceland
Sept. 11 to 15, 2019 - Berlin (OPTIONAL)
Ambassadors fly to Berlin, spending four nights there, prior to the welcome reception in Cottbus
Sept. 15, 2019
Meet at the Select Hotel – The Wall
Meet the Host Coordinator from Cottbus, Bernd Dittrich, who will escort the ambassadors via the German Railway to Cottbus
Meet the host families
Sept. 16, 2019
Visit to a coal mine
Sept. 17, 2019
Visit Spreewald (designated a biosphere reserve by UNESCO) with a typical boat ride on the many canals and a visit to the open-air museum in Lehde
Sept. 18, 2019
Visit a neighboring Polish town
Sept. 19, 2019
City tour of Cottbus
Town hall activity
Sept. 20, 2019
Free time with hosts
Sept. 21, 2019
Ambassadors meet at the train station to depart for Berlin with continuation to the Varel extension or continue to the Berlin airport for a return flight
Sept. 22 to 25, 2019 - Varel (OPTIONAL)
Three days of area sightseeing led by FF Varel
$350 USDPrice Includes: The Cottbus portion: FFI and host fees.
Costs do not include host gifts, treating hosts to dinner one night, an occasional lunch or dinner and the required travel insurance.
Wait list only
Know before you go
- Journey number 15202.
- Optional Add-On: Day-Host with FF Varel, Germany. Train Journey from Cottbus to Varel (about six hours), four nights in Hotel Friesenhof including breakfast, three days of area sightseeing led by FF Varel (Sept. 22-25). On Sept. 25, leave by train to Hamburg. Spend one day, one night in Hamburg. Estimated cost for this add-on is $500 USD.
- The Quad Cities group is flying via Icelandic Air leaving on Sept. 7 and staying three nights in Iceland (Sept. 8-11). The ambassadors will then fly to Berlin via Icelandic Air spending four nights in Berlin (Sept. 11-15) prior to the welcome reception in Cottbus. Sept. 15 departure to Cottbus (about two hours by train). For information on pre-extensions please contact the Journey Coordinator, Lois Boyer.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.