The city of Chicago, Illinois is celebrating its 180th anniversary this year, so this Journey is themed “City in a Garden.” Chicago is a modern urban center and a beautiful and friendly city with opportunities for all. After Chicago, enjoy friendship, food, and the great outdoors in Madison, Wisconsin with opportunities to ride a paddle steamboat, dine at many local favorite restaurants, and attend social gatherings with your hosts and fellow ambassadors!
Provided by the Friendship Force club of Chicago and Wisconsin-Madison.
Live With a LocalChicago:
- Visits to the homes of our members through small group dinners and tours of several gardens in the area that would be difficult for the average visitor to find.
- Chicago has become a city with many great restaurants, we will be sampling the local pizza and a farm-to-table restaurant.
- Enjoy a lively welcome celebration complete with singing and dancing.
- Possibility to practice your French with the Ambassadors from New Caledonia.
- Restaurant fish fry.
- Take a tour of the International Crane Foundation.
- Meet French Students form University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Visit one of the oldest section of Chicago - Prairie Avenue - which includes the Glesner House Museum, the Clark House and other historic mansions.
- Tour the Chicago Art Institute
- During summer, the Grant Park Symphony concerts are outdoors at beautiful Millennium Park. We will be attending one of these concerts.
- Most of our time is planned, but we added some relaxation time as well. This can be used to tour parks and museums near our member’s homes such as Lincoln Park Zoo or the Fox River area. Chicago is home to the Magnificent Mile and other historic districts.
- Gardens, Pontoon Boat tours of our many lakes.
- Hiking at Devil's Lake State Park.
- National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium in Dubuque, Iowa
- Ride Mississippi River Paddlewheel Steamboat
Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin, USA
12 Days / 11 Nights Program and Itinerary:
June 18, 2017 – June 29, 2017
Coordinator: Marie-Aimee Martin, Noumea, New Caledonia
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
June 18 to 22
Homestay with FF Chicago.
Activities include admiring the city’s beautiful gardens, touring the Chicago Art Institute, trying famous local pizza, and attending an outdoor concert.
Fri. June 23
Ambassadors arrive in Madison.
Welcome Fish Fry Dinner at BABE’s Restaurant.
Sat. June 24
State Capitol Tour.
Afternoon is free – go shopping on State Street or visit Olbrich Botanical Gardens.
Optional Shake the Lake Festival.
Free fireworks display.
Sun. June 25
Free morning (ambassadors may go to church with hosts if desired).
Tour of UW Campus.
Free music in evening.
Mon. June 26
Hinchley Dairy Farm Tour, with sandwich lunch.
Free afternoon – maybe take a pontoon boat trip around the Lakes of Madison.
Catered Italian Spaghetti Dinner.
Tue. June 27
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium in Dubuque, Iowa.
Ride Mississippi River Paddlewheel Steamboat, with lunch on boat.
Afternoon is free for Museum and Dubuque Funicular Ride to top of cliff ($2).
Return to Madison, late dinner hosted in selected homes.
Wed. June 28
International Crane Foundation Tour.
Lunch at Wintergreen Restaurant.
Wisconsin Dells Boat Tour.
Farewell Potluck Dinner at Vilas Park Zoo shelter.
Meet French Students form University of Wisconsin, Madison. New Caledonia ambassadors will put on a program sharing their cultures with us.
Thurs. June 29
$360 USDPrice Includes: FFI and host fees, some meals and activities. Does not include transportation between clubs or airfare.
Know before you go
- There are currently 2 spaces available for the Chicago portion of the exchange and 4 openings for the homestays in Wisconsin-Madison.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.