Get a real taste of two very different cities in Brazil on this Journey that sets out to explore local food, drink, art, and culture. Join with two separate Friendship Force clubs, FF Belem and FF Sao Paulo, to enjoy friendly hospitality while learning how to cook traditional meals, appreciate local artists and musicians, and exploring life in both the big city and the more laid-back rural areas. For interested ambassadors, there will be an optional eight-day tour before the homestay portion of the Journey.
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force clubs of Belem and Sao Paulo.
Live With a Local
- Learn how to cook some traditional Brazilian recipes with a local
- Try the very best of two very different areas of Brazil
- Check out the amazing differences in culture inside the same country - Sao Paulo in the southeast (metropolis is an alpha global city) and Belem in the north (the gateway to the Amazon River)
- MASP in Sao Paulo
- Mercado Municipal in Sao Paulo
- Ver-o-peso in Belém
- Optional eight-day tour to Salvador and Manaus
The highlight was the warm welcome from all members and the care and comfort we received from our hosts. - Previous ambassador
Art, Culture, and Gastronomy in Belem and Sao Paulo, Brazil
12 Days / 11 Nights Program and Itinerary:
June 10, 2020 – June 21, 2020
Coordinator: James Dillon, FF Dayton
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
OPTIONAL TOUR: June 3, 2020
Arrival in Salvador and transfer to hotel Fera Palace
Night out for By Night Teatro Miguel Santana & Uauá: the Balé Folclórico da Bahia Company performs multiple African traditional dances that underpin Bahian culture
OPTIONAL TOUR: June 4, 2020
Full-day Salvador tour, lunch included:
- Barra’s famous lighthouse
- Church of São Francisco
- Pelourinho Square
- Itapagipe Peninsula
- Senhor do Bonfim Church
- Montserrat Fort
- Boa Viagem Beach
- Lacerda Elevator
- Mercado Modelo
Return to the hotel
OPTIONAL TOUR: June 5, 2020
Board a typical schooner boat and navigate the Todos os Santos Bay, with panoramic views of the upper city, Lacerda elevator, Government Palace, São Marcelo fortress
The first stop is at Frades island where participants will have free time to enjoy the beach
Then continue to Itaparica island, where a buffet lunch will be served, followed by leisure time at Ponta de Areia beach
Return to hotel in the end of the afternoon
OPTIONAL TOUR: June 6, 2020
After breakfast, transfer to Salvador Airport
Fly to Manaus and transfer to hotel Intercity Manaus
Depending on arrival time, a city tour can be scheduled in Manaus
OPTIONAL TOUR: June 7 to 9, 2020
Spend three days and four nights at the Amazon Village Lodge, with excursions including:
- Meeting of the waters tour
- Alligator spotting tour
- Jungle trek
- Reconnaissance tour
- Fishing Trip and visit to a native dwelling
This marks the end of the optional tour, tomorrow ambassadors fly to Belem to meet their first host club
June 10, 2020
Arrive in Belem and attend a welcome dinner with your hosts
June 11, 2020
City tour with a bilingual guide
Boat trip at sunset around the edge of the city
June 12, 2020
Visit area museums
Take a cooking class with tastings at a local restaurant
Attend an evening concert
June 13, 2020
Bus tour to Mosqueiro Island with lunch
June 14, 2020
Visit to Icoaraci District to attend an indigenous handicrafts fair with lunch
June 15, 2020
Visit an ecological park
Farewell cocktail party
June 16, 2020
Fly to Sao Paulo
Upon arrival, attend a welcome party with hosts
June 17, 2020
City tour with bilingual guide
Dinner at a steakhouse
June 18, 2020
Visit the Municipal Market to shop for ingredients, then use them during a cooking and tasting lesson
June 19, 2020
Visit to Av Paulista museums: Japan House, Itau Cultural, and MASP (with lunch)
June 20, 2020
Visit to the craft fair (“Embu das artes”)
June 21, 2020
Morning concert in Sala Sao Paulo
Evening farewell party
Know before you go
- Journey number 20141.
- Daily high temperatures are around 89°F, rarely falling below 86°F or exceeding 91°F.
- Daily low temperatures are around 75°F, rarely falling below 73°F or exceeding 77°F.
- Average temperature in Belem during the month of June is 89°F.
- Bug spray is recommended.
- The optional pre-Journey tour goes from June 3 to 9 and costs $1890 USD. Activities can be seen in the itinerary.
- An additional $170 will be added for those who join the optional tour for this Journey, covering the flight from Manaus to Belem.
- The $250 fee is waived from the optional tour when the ambassador joins both the homestay and optional tour.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.